Monday, June 10, 2013

What's Best For Me?

I've often been asked why I homeschool. Usually I give a half joking answer along the lines of being a control freak who hates answering to any authority (which is a totally accurate description of me). I even frequently say that I homeschool because it's what's best for my children, but that it certainly isn't what's best for me.

You know what? That just isn't true.

Homeschooling is absolutely what's best for me.

I like the freedom and flexibility homeschooling provides my family. I absolutely love not having to ask the government for permission to take the day off and do something fun with my children. I love vacationing when everyone else is in school. I love being free to jump in the car and take a trip to Lexington, KY and Little Rock, AR because Michael has work in those places. Or being able to swiftly return to Florida because a beloved family friend has lost their battle with cancer.

I am free to teach my children what they should learn and protect them from what they shouldn't. I can truly be there for them when they need me. Childhood is so brief and so very important. One day my children will all be grown, leading their own lives, and raising their own children. I hope they will look back on their childhoods as being filled with love and learning rather than looking back on their lives in school.

Ultimately my children are learning about life by living it, not by reading about it in a book...and I love sharing that with them.

7 comments:

  1. As you know, I purposely restrict my comments on some subjects because of my calling at Church but I think I am on safe ground here. All your sisters home school as well and probably for some or all of the reasons you site in your message and I personally applaud all of you. You are right to say this is a difficult task but one that is extremely rewarding. I am frightened by what our children are being taught and exposed to in public schools. When we raised our children we began to see these practices taking shape in the school system and in society and how they mesh. What once was unheard of and unthinkable is now accepted and commonplace. As I look back I can now see how gently and slowly these changes took place until like the flaxen cord all families and children are bound by these degradation of our society even to the extent that many don't or will not see how things have changed for the worse. Good for you and your sisters. I encourage you to continue to speak out on the advantages of home schooling and to also become a resource for those who are interesting and don't know where to turn to for help and advice. Stand tall Girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww ..... thanks dad. I really like your analogy of the flaxen cords.

      Delete
  2. By the way, these comments are being monitored by DHS, EPA, IRS, NSA, CNN, YAHOO, Google, Facebook, Eric Holder and your mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! So true, Dad! I've decided to try to blog day to day about my experiences homeschooling my children and the benefits and blessings it brings my family. Thanks for all your support. It means the world.

    Blog and comments likely read by the Big Brother monitoring systems of the FBI, DHS, CIA, and NSA via CNN, Facebook, Google, and Apple and punishable by the EPA, IRS, ATF, OSHA, and FBI.*

    *not an inclusive list. Could include any number of unknown federal departments and agencies via any and all private companies with access to the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned this too! In the end, it is what is best for the whole family. It might not start out that way, or even seem that way, but wha lah! There it is!

    ReplyDelete